Monday, December 05, 2005

Youth With A Mission

YWAM - Youth With A Mission. DTS - Discipleship Training School. AW80 - Around the World in 80 Days.

Those are the generals of the upcoming, and you might say, current experience. I leave for New Zealand early on 12 January and arrive in Christchurch, New Zealand on 14 January. Actually, I'll end up at the Oxford YWAM base just outside Christchurch. I still haven't figured out if I lose a small bit of my life in the time zone transition, however, I figure the return trip from New Zealand (scheduled 31 July) will at least be a simple form of time travel - heck, I'll leave NZ about four hours after I arrive back in the states - figure that one out.

And so it goes in life that decisions should be made. Sometimes those decisions are made with much thought and discernment. Sometimes those decisions are made in haste. Sometimes those decisions just happen.

So that is where YWAM falls into line at - a decision that just sort of happened. Sure there were reasons - good and some maybe not so good - but specific reasoning escapes me for the moment. It had something to do with the appeal of a broad exposure to the world, removing myself from my comfort zone, and some form of Biblical and spiritual learning; most importantly, it was a God-thing. Yeah, maybe that sounds strange to phrase it as such, but right now, I can't adequately explain using nouns and verbs just what that means. Honestly, I don't know much about what I am getting into but that's not really any concern - the decision brought with it a peace by which the future, as of yet unknown, just makes sense - the "click factor" (that's for you Morgan if you ever read this). So went the experience with Mercy Ships not so many moons ago.

It may be best this way - that is to know little about what the future path may hold. I think it makes traveling that path easier - no expectations to eventually be disappointed with, no "set in stone" plans to have pulled out from underneath, and plenty of opportunity to get outside the comfort zone. At least, at this point in time, this slightly unknown aspect is more than slightly appealing.

Ah, only time will tell what the future holds.

No comments: