Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Back in AK!

Well, after four months of absence from the 49th state I have now returned to Alaska - actually, it was this past Friday night when the flight arrived... It is good to be back in Alaska, especially now that summer has arrived.

The arrival back in AK was appropriate not only because it was Father's Day on Sunday (for those in the States) but the 18th happened to be someone's birthday - wonder who? Ah, a year closer to 30 - I won't tell you my age but if you figure I was born in 1977... So, I only point out that it's my birthday to remind anyone who happens to be reading this that TIME IS PRECIOUS - use it well (and not that I do, but at least the principle is there, right?).

In spite of the weekend of special days the activities were pretty low key (due to the wishes of those involved and not-so-good weather). So, a couple nice dinners and a movie out with Dad (Star Wars!) made for a good weekend. I should also mention that Dad spoke at church on Sunday and gave what I thought was a great message for Father's Day - he may not know this but they do put such things online - hahahaha.

I hope that anyone out there who happens to be reading this has had a good Father's Day and was able to provide some words of encouragement/love to your father or father-figure. It is difficult for me to imagine what being a father is like as I am not one at this point in time (someday I hope to be a father, Lord willing), but I do imagine that it is quite tough - I don't think any of the four siblings in our family got past those rough teenage years until we were out of the house for a year or two - funny how that worked. So, it would seem that maybe once the first twenty years are up then things with kids get easier, or maybe not. I don't suppose one ever stops being a dad. Though a sad fact is that some fathers never buck up and face their duties - check it out for yourself. Anyone willing to bet that fatherlessness is part of the social/cultural problem in the US (World?) today? It's got my vote as a very serious social/cultural problem.

Happy Father's Day to any fathers out there and thanks for being a part of your children's lives.

It would appear that at this point Alaska and I will continue to coexist for a couple more weeks with a brief respite to the States in July, followed by continuing time here in AK, with another trip downstate in mid-August and a drive to the East. Ah, but plans are made to be changed, so, maybe not. In any case, Alaska holds some people and interests that require some time of their own to which I am glad to oblige. So, if any of you out there wonder upon my short-term schedule... - it's a good question - let me know when you figure out what that schedule is.

On a closing note I would request that for any of you that are out there that are prayerer's (good English I know...) please consider lifting up my friend Willard in prayer (and his young family) as he is fighting a sickness and is very weak (bedridden of sorts) right now. Thanks!

2 comments:

roberry said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I hope you were able to have a good party for yourself which included lots of presents and cake. It must have been nice to make it home for your birthday.

Did you like Star Wars? Everyone I've talked to really didn't like it. What did you think?

mw said...

Thanks for the kind birthday wishes - one year closer to the big 3-0.

Star Wars was good! I really liked how they tied it into the 4th (or "first" one back in the day), however, I did think the acting was not so good. See it on the big screen if you get a chance - the special effects are great!