Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The US of A

The trip home from Newcastle, England, to Seattle, Washington, came to pass without incident and with some relief with such a distance of travel. Though, setting foot on American soil did bring about a greater feeling or sense of sorts.

Funny how a country can carry with it a certain feeling. At least this seems to be true for me. Stepping off the plane in the US from 10 weeks in England brought about a certain relief in the sense of a feeling or a weight lifting from the shoulders, so to speak. I wouldn't call such a feeling good, bad, or otherwise - it is not clear in my mind exactly what a feeling represents or even how to define the term "feeling" that I use here. Although I certainly attributed the arrival in my home country with a sense of relief and a feeling of "home". Do any of you share the same experiences?

Just an overnight near Seattle at Grandpa's and it was off to Idaho for a wonderful and very worthwhile trip to my cousin's wedding this past Saturday. It is a great thing to re-establish with family that have been visited little in the previous years - most notably to see cousins that have grown to unrecognizable young adults. Every mile driven was worth it (yes all 1600 of them to and from) in addition the scenery was beautiful. I had failed to recall just how beautiful the Cascades and Eastern Washington were not to mention the unique beauty of Eastern Oregon and Southern Idaho. Certainly a recommended drive, especially if the end goal is to visit some long lost family.

Now back at Grandpa's the remainder of the summer is scattered with the odd plan or two, however, the future is relatively wide open. And just how many more times in life will a person be able to say that the future is wide open? A good question, but a question to which the answer seems to be more hidden within the attitude and the perspective of the one doing the asking.

Now having returned from England - Newcastle seeming to be so far away both physically and mentally - the challenge remains to put into practice or memory what I had learned and gained while in England so that such lessons and experiences are not wasted or forgotten...

Short term traveling back to Alaska is looking promising, though, the next few days will certainly tell...

2 comments:

roberry said...

Hey, how's Tacoma? Are you going to spend your entire summer there?

I did have to pay $20 for my photo album. It seems a bit ridiculous (the internet being something very intangible I feel like I'm paying for a concept instead of something "real") but I guess it's worth it.

By the way, there are stats on Picture Trail so you can see who's looking and where. It's under "my account" at the top of the members page. And if you're interested in a stats counter for your blog I would recommend retrostats http://www.retrostats.com/
There are others that are probably better, but I like this one for some reason.

mw said...

tacoma was good - thanks for asking. back in AK now but shall return south a couple more times this summer - hopefully.

I think the $20 is worth it - small cost for being able to share with others!

Thanks for the tips on the picture trail and retrostats - checked out both today and ended up with a retrostat counter on the blog site - maybe you noticed.

hope to post soon as well as some more pics. Remember to take timeout for yourself in those full weeks of yours - don't get burned out doing what you're doing.