Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mt. Oxford, Attempt #2

From Mt. Oxford, A...
The first bump on the southern ridge approach to Mt. Oxford

Success! It only takes one wrong turn to make certain that the do-over is done correctly the next time round...

We started by a different route this time; a route that was marked and proven previously by a member of this second summit team. A week ago today I traveled along with this group of staff and students from the current DTS, including my sister, to conquer the nearby peak.

Blessed with a beautifully cool late fall day we were able to reach the summit without trouble, albeit a few sore muscles and liters of sweat lost to the uphill climb. Six hours for the up and the down - better than I thought it might be. Suzanne would want you to know that she easily beat me to the top - she actually was the pace setter for the group. I beat her down...

The view goes on forever at this height, well, as long as the haze allows. It's a different world at the top of a mountain - the cares of the world lose themselves in the altitude. I don't think we were too anxious to come down, yet the cool breeze and shortening days chased us away.

It was a grand day.

Someday soon I'll write a bit more - that's it for now!


Through the woods and over the hill...



Looking south along the eastern edge of the Southern Alps



Suzanne and I on top of the geometric data marker



Just to prove that we made it



View to the westerly direction from the top



Down and out...

1 comment:

Angela said...

aw- so sweet- brother and sister. We miss you guys!